Westdyke vs Glendale AFC

February 4, 2017
Score: 0 - 1

Match Report

With heavy overnight rain causing Lawsondale to be unplayable this match was swiftly moved to Maryculter which was in near perfect condition. Not only was a place in the quarter finals of the AFC Trophy up for grabs but the bragging rights between two teams which share training facility’s on a Wednesday night at Cults Academy was also up for grabs! In the end an own goal in favour of the “away” side was all that separated the two teams in a close fought contest.

Glendale set up with a different formation in an attempt to force Westdyke to play across the park and the tactic worked a treat for the most part as the “home” saw plenty of the ball early on but it was Glendale who created the first chance when their free kick routine worked a treat with C McRae setting up Darren Buchan who’s low driven cross was just asking to be knocked home. Next a Craig McRae deep free kick should have been converted by Jonny Reith but the big defender failed to get enough purchase on the ball as it drifted wide. Westdyke also had chances as Neil thumped in a shot from distance which Stewart Muirhead had to dive and push away then McDonald also had a chance but his lifted effort dropped the wrong side of the upright. On 30 minutes Glendale sneaked in front with a well worked goal. Danny Lechner started the move skipping away from his marker before quickly passing to Buchan who kept the moving to Neil Innes who in turn found Connor Pirie wide right and his cross was turned into his own net by GRAHAM for an own goal. That was all that separated the teams at the break with Dale just about deserving of their lead. H.T 0-1

The 2nd half saw Westdyke turn the screw as they dominated possession. McDonald had a long range piledriver superbly turned over the bar by Muirhead and Shand also saw his effort turned round the post by the inspired keeper but although Westdyke had most of the ball there was no panic in the play of Glendale as they defended superbly everyone doing their job of closing down. In 70 minutes Westdyke had loud appeals for a penalty turned down with the striker maybe harshly booked for “diving” to make matters worse he complained too much and was shown a 2nd yellow to leave his team with 10 for the remainder of the match. Moments later Westdyke had another valid claim for a penalty but again the Referee said no much to Glendale’s relief. As if to sum up Westdyke’s day Reid crashed a terrific effort which struck the underside of the bar and bounced down and out before being booted clear.

Harsh on Westdyke who passed the ball well but maybe lacked a cutting edge. For Glendale however a much improved performance from the previous week’s debacle. Not a failure on the day but special mention to Muirhead for some crucial saves,Alex McMahon who never shirked a challenge all day and old timer Neil Innes who brought composure to mid field when needed and gave words of encouragement for the youngster’s around him which helped maintain their belief.

Team                                       Muirhead

A McMahon                Wright          Reith                      C McRae

Pirie          Innes            Buchan          Thomson        Lechner

J McMahon








Michael Thomson
Neil Innes
Cameron Wright
Stuart Muirhead
Craig McRae
Alex McMahon
Jonny Reith
Darren Buchan
Danny Lechner


John Cameron
Chris Smith
Mark Robb