Newburgh Thistle vs Glendale AFC

August 27, 2016
Score: 3 - 3

Match Report

Glendale traveled  to the picturesque coastal village of Newburgh  for a first ever meeting with  high flying Newburgh Thistle in the 2nd rd of the AFC Trophy and eventually scraped through on penalty kicks in a game in which Glendale had virtual total domination but were wasteful in front of goal. The facilities on show were a credit to the home side and the changing rooms and pitch were immaculate and this seemed to inspire Glendale as they flew out the traps playing some inspired football. Passing was crisp and incisive and it was no surprise when they took the lead in 12 minutes after Graeme Oag was brought down as he chased a Mark Robb pass for a “stone wall” penalty. OAG picked himself up to score with ease from the spot.Glendale were all over the host’s and Robb scooped one over the bar and Oag again came close but with 35 minutes gone a mix up in the Dale defence resulted in Banks being hauled down for a clear penalty and BRANDS  sent Muirhead the wrong way to draw his side level. H.T 1-1.

The 2nd half followed the same pattern with Glendale well on top and were awarded a 2nd penalty in 64 minutes in controversial fashion as Connor Pirie shot for goal the ball clearly crossed the line only for Robertson to claw the ball back with his hands.The Referee awarded a spot kick then bizarrely only booked the defender however some justice was done as OAG again did the needful by scoring from the spot again. Thereafter Robb, Pirie and substitute Andy Will all wasted good chances to kill off the game and as often happens in these situations Newburgh scored with virtually last the play of the 90 when ALLARDYCE attacked an in swinging free kick to head past Muirhead and force extra time.

Glendale edged ahead for a 3rd time when Will found space on the right and cut the ball back for the inrushing  LEWIS BROWN  who bundled the ball over the line from 6 yards but again Newburgh fought back and FERGUSON was left with far too much room in the Dale penalty box and was able to direct a header past Muirhead from 8 yards. Oag almost won it with what could have been goal of the season when he brilliantly chested a high ball down on the half way line,set off on one of his trade mark runs ,played a one two with Will, and sent a swerving shot goalwards from 2o yards out but McCall produced the save of the day to tip the ball round the post.

So once again Glendale faced up to penalty kicks and when Ryan McRae stepped up first and saw his effort saved things looked bleak but with Craig McRae, Oag, Neil Innes[just] and Will all converting Muirhead once again played his part by saving Newburgh’s final spot kick meaning sudden death and Brown, James and Alex McMahon all kept their nerve to score as Brands rattled his effort off the cross bar and eventually/deservedly Glendale were able to claim their place in the next round.

Team                                     Muirhead

R McRae                  A McMahon           Innes                 C McRae

Pirie             Brown                       Sutherland           Robertson

Robb              Oag




J McMahon




Graeme OagGoalGoal
Neil Innes
Calum Robertson
Stuart Muirhead
Craig McRae
Alex McMahon
Mark Robb


Andy Will