Glendale AFC vs Beacon Rangers

September 29, 2018
Score: 3 - 2

Match Report

Glendale secured a much needed victory in a bottom of the table clash against Beacon Rangers at Maryculter on Saturday in a match that they struggled to reach the form of some of the previous weeks but held on for a big result.

Beacon ¬†should have been ahead in 2 minutes when Paton was given a clear sight of goal cutting in from the right only to shoot wide of the target. Beacon were dominating and came even closer on 10 minutes when McLean’s perfectly struck free kick looked to be heading into the net only for Derek McKenzie to dive to his right and get a finger tip onto the ball which struck the outside of the post and out for a corner. Dale had been knocked off their stride and had struggled to create anything of note but with 24 minutes gone went ahead against the run of play. Cameron Roe Imrie chased a through ball down and stand in keeper Gray only managed to knock the ball partially clear as far as NEIL INNES who, showing great awareness, with his back to goal hooked a shot over his head and into the empty net. Innes had another chance soon after but his glancing header was off target and at the break his goal was all that separated the teams.

The 2nd half followed much the same pattern with Beacon pressing for an equaliser and were duly rewarded on the hour mark. Reid played a long cross field pass over the Dale defence and McLENAN raced through and chipped  McKenzie for a fine goal. Glendale were in need of some inspiration or some luck and got both as they went ahead again for the 2nd time. A corner from the right was not properly cleared by the Rangers defence and the ball fell perfectly for substitute LEWIS BROWN who knocked the out of his feet then drilled a low shot beyond Gray. 5 minutes later it was 3-1 when CAMERON ROE IMRIE took possession on the right and his cross deceived Gray and went into the net off the far post. Beacon were far from beaten however and but for a terrific save from McKenzie would have had another goal back. McLenan hit a screamer from 25 yards which McKenzie somehow managed to knock over the bar. With 2 minutes to go and the game all but over Michael Thomson stupidly made a remark towards the Referee and was shown a straight red card and it almost cost his team as the impressive McGUINNESS volleyed home from 16 yards to set up a very nervy finish.

At the final whistle an emotional Cammy Wright,In his final appearance at home before taking up a new job in London, threw his jersey into the crowd in the river bank stand as the fans chanted his name! All the best from everyone at Glendale Cammy.


M.O.M Neil Innes.


Michael ThomsonRed Card
Alex McMahon
Neil InnesGoal
Craig McRae
Callum Sutherland
Cameron Wright
Michael Bruce
Cameron Roe ImrieGoal
Kevin Watson
Liam WatsonYellow Card
1. Derek McKenzie


Jonny Reith
Russell Macphee
Lewis BrownGoal
Cameron Willox
Ross McKenzie